Friday 15 May 2015

New Startup Idea - Rent de la Renta.

Like everyone else in the world right now, I too am sitting on a billion dollar app idea. The problem being I can't code. Nay, I won't put the effort to learn how to code. And it's kind of funny but every time I think of an app idea, I see someone create it in a matter of months.

Let's go back to 2009. I'm using Picasa's filters to edit and better a photo I clicked on my phone. I passingly think, it'd be so cool if I could do this on the phone itself. Fast forward to a few years and we have Instagram.

In 2013, me and my friends go catch a movie. When we head back home, we spend 15 minutes searching for the car in the parking lot. A little less time than that Seinfeld episode and an idea pops in my head. What if every car came up with these phone holders with NFC stickers. The moment you pick your phone, the holder beams a signal marking the location of the car on the phone. When you come back, you know exactly where your car is. A few months later comes an app based on the same idea. By the end of the year, the app even has clones.

So, the other day I was having lunch with some colleagues who were discussing how it makes more sense to rent a Louis Vuitton bag instead of buying one. While I recovered from the shock that my colleagues were secret highfliers who rented Louis Vuitton bags, I also learnt that there were only a few players in the luxury retail market. The demand was there but the market was still untapped and to make things more opportune - most keen on renting didn't know where to go.

That's when I had another idea. What if there was a portal/app that allowed people to rent high fashion online. Basically a place to rent Oscar de la Renta dresses. Wait, let me register the domain name RentDeLaRenta.com

 I thought I should share the idea before someone else does it. If you want to do it yourself, just give me 40% stake in the business. Don't even think of increasing it to 60%. I'm a reasonable man and 40% is good for me. And if you aren't keen on that, you can leave a comment that tells me to get off my butt and learn to code and make that big app myself. 

jm3




No comments: