Saturday 21 March 2015

Life. Let's Keep It Simple.

Wise words on whiteboard
A good life motto: Seek simple pleasures. Pursue big goals.

Whether you admit it or not, one time or the other you will find yourself in this race. To make more money. To see more things. To have more things. To get more likes on your last Instagram. To have more 'check-ins' than your friends. And if you fall into the giant mass that they call the Indian middle class, a good deal of your time will be spent in trying to make money. All I can say to you is don't. 

Instead of trying to get richer, focus on having a richer life. The former is tough and often achievable. The latter far more simpler and far more satisfying. 

We were in this discussion at office for a rather boho lifestyle brand. And we all agreed, you don't need a lot of money to be happy. I think I'm irreconcilably minimalist. I like movies that are economical in their shot lengths. I like writers with precision in their prose. Except you McEwan, you do your thing. I like it when musicians go on daring solos but I know exactly when they have worn out their welcome. 

So, the pleasures I seek are quite simple too. Dipping my feet at the beach with the sand beneath me playing hide and seek with my toes. A well-made movie. A well-composed song. Yes, Florence Welch, I'm talking to you. A photo that leaves my knees caked with dirt, my neck strained and my heart, completely occupied. 

These are just some of the little things that make me really happy. So, tell me, what little things make you happy?

No comments: