Friday 6 March 2015

Falling For Florence + The Machine.

I first heard of Florence + The Machine from a senior at college. His tastes were far more 'hip' and mainstream, so I dismissed them. Before you think this was me being elitist, remember he was into Paolo Nutini of the New Shoes song fame.  In retrospect, I was far from right. Only recently has this group been gathering mainstream acclaim and in what's a rare case in music nowadays, they deserve all the praise and pennies lavished upon them. 

I'll talk over the coming weeks about my burgeoning romance with Florence + The Machine. My love for the lead singer Florence Welch's throaty heartbreaking voice, their ability to fuse soulful yet hip lyrics with a sound that's new, indie and reeks of glam rock.

But before I do, I want you to sample this. The newest video from their coming album. 



It's barely 2 minutes long and for a 'rock' group they use no instruments associated with the genre. Instead they boldly throw open a rock orchestra where Welch croons just 6 words - 'How big, how blue, how beautiful.' And as you get hooked on the words, marvel at the careful choice to not repeat the phrase fully the last time. Florence's croon is made of stuff that brings you to the edge of your seat. The video itself is something to marvel over and the brass arrangement makes your heart soar. 

PS: I OD'd on this song while reading Hilary Mantel's excellent Wolf Hall. The brass somehow seems worthy of royalty and was tailor-made for the book.


No comments: